re: the souls of silkworms (Studio Pia)

well, I joined a new forum on reddit called Skin Care Addiction Circle Jerk (SCACircleJerk) and I saw this "top post" yesterday. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/SCAcirclejerk/comments/hl91w6/i_just_could_not_miss_the_opportunity_to_make_a/


The Ethics of Snail Mucin 

I want to tie the above topic into Studio Pia and and her Ethical Ethos  campaign https://studiopia.co.uk/pages/ethical-ethos  

While I do think all of the above are wonderful to aspire to, the issue is: as a consumer, I don't know that she's actually doing all of the above, or is just using a marketing gimmick to generate some money. Read this recent article re: "ethical" brand Lara Intimates. People were paying extra money because they thought the brand was ethical, but in reality, no one regulates Lara Intimates promises to their customers, outside of what would be regulated by UK labour laws. (Unfortunately, I'm unable to access Lara Intimates webpage https://laraintimates.com/collections/frontpage

I mean, it sounds nice "we design our own tulle to reduce impact on the environment." "endeavour to use deadstock fabric." Great! But nobody monitors those things. 


It's nice that she guarantees her product for life (essentially) because she offers repairs, but how many people will send their undies back to the UK for repairs? 

And as far as silkworms, hmm...I'm an animal lover myself, but not a vegetarian or vegan. I draw the line with insect life: if a spider crawls into my apartment, I will kill it, and the same for a bee. I don't care for the quality of life of every single ant that crawls into my apartment. 


Do we even know that silkworms feel pain or feel fear? or are we anthropomorphizing them? 

That being said: if someone has a strong conviction that *they only want to wear peace silk* so be it, but for me personally - it's not the hill that I'm going to die on as I don't believe that silkworms have souls. 

Is there something in-between Studio Pia (who writes all these nice things on her website - but in reality, nobody regulates those things) and Wacoal, Bravissimo, all the other companies that employ garment workers solely in the global south

Yes, that's why I try to promote Polish bras, or other bras that are made in Europe; no system in perfect, but any workroom in Poland or Europe should be under EU labour laws. 

The rest of the promises that Studio Pia makes on her "ethical ethos" again, nobody regulates that. It could end up the same as Lara Intimates, a.k.a., lots of worker complaints. 


Comments